Author Topic: Trouble switching mic/input  (Read 1741 times)

Ectropian

Trouble switching mic/input
« on: September 13, 2019, 05:35:53 PM »
1st, I'm a little confused at the 2 separate settings for both multimedia or communications playback and recording.  I read a post from 3/2019 with a similar issue about resetting windows default settings in beta version 1.7.3, but I'm quite confused at how this applies currently with version 1.7.8.

Basically I have a headset mic and a desktop mic.  in VA options I have my desktop mic set as default, but want to switch to headset mic.  Most of the time VA will switch no problems, but not switch back.  Currently Va is using my desktop mic, and refuses to switch to headset mic.  I use the VA option for Windows/Change default audio device command structure, and it works without issues with my headphones or desktop speakers.  Sometimes I want to use my headset with desktop mic so I have 4 separate commands for each move of playback/recording devices, and in every command I am changing both communication & multimedia options, but the microphones will not consistently swap.

Am i doing something wrong?

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: Trouble switching mic/input
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2019, 05:39:42 PM »
Is the Windows setting not changing at all when you do this? Or does the Windows setting change, but VoiceAttack keeps listening on the previous device?

Is this a wireless headset? Using bluetooth?

VoiceAttack uses the default multimedia recording device (unless overridden using the "Windows Speech Recording Device" option on the "Recognition" tab of the VoiceAttack options window), not the communications recording device.

Ectropian

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2019, 05:49:35 PM »
The windows setting changes to the headphone mic, but still listens on the desktop.
VA listens only on Desktop mic and does not listen over headset mic.
Desktop mic is a USB Fifine, headphone are wired into the rear of the pc.

After changing the Window Speech Recording Device option on the Recognition tab back to default.  It seems things are working as intended.. I guess maybe it was a conflict of interest?

Ectropian

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2019, 05:51:19 PM »
Still confused over the "communications" and "multimedia" input settings..  is only 1 of these necessary to switch input or both?

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2019, 05:54:52 PM »
If you change the "Windows Speech Recording Device" to anything but default, that device will always be used for speech recognition, regardless of the default recording device set in Windows for any other applications, so yes, that is working as intended.

If you want to switch the device the speech recognition engine listens to, you only need to switch the multimedia recording device.
The communications device may be used by other applications like Skype, but VoiceAttack and many games use the multimedia recording device.

Ectropian

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2019, 05:57:05 PM »
Thanks Pfeil for the clarification :)