Author Topic: VoiceAttack opens on disabled monitor/display  (Read 1410 times)

mattiasonline

VoiceAttack opens on disabled monitor/display
« on: July 29, 2019, 05:53:22 AM »
I have a setup with one monitor and one projector. The projector is not always on of course, so the desktop area will vary in size. When the projector is off and I open VoiceAttack, the window opens outside the visible area and I can't get to it unless I turn the projector on again.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: VoiceAttack opens on disabled monitor/display
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2019, 07:51:23 AM »
How it this projector set up? Is it a separate, extended display?

The more often-used VoiceAttack windows will remember where your last closed them, and should open again in that location, so if you open windows while they're on another display, they'll open there next time, even if you're moved other windows to another display (this enables you to organize windows across different displays).

What you could do is use the "Reset Defaults" option on the "General" tab of the VoiceAttack options window (note that this option will reset all non-profile settings), which will reset all stored window locations so they'll open near the main window again the first time you open them.

mattiasonline

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2019, 09:18:01 AM »
It's set up as an extended display, so the desktop is like this:

[ left (0, 0): Projector, primary ][ right (1920, 0): Monitor, secondary ]

Actually, I think VoiceAttack was on the monitor in this setup. So the last saved position should be (1920+, 0+). When the projector is not used, it's like this:

[ disabled ][ (0, 0): Monitor ]

Probably VoiceAttack is opening to the right of the monitor in this case.

I can't rearrange displays or switch primary/secondary or it will be very unintuitive and impractical when I do use the projector. Other applications that retain their last position usually somehow checks to see if they are outside the current desktop area and if so adjusts, eg by letting Windows pick a default position.

Since the main window of VoiceAttack opens outside the desktop area, I can't do anything within the application. All I can do is close it through the taskbar. I mean, I can live with it, I usually play with the projector on, but if I just want to have a look at the settings or the scripts, I can't do that with just the monitor on.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2019, 11:38:59 AM »
Other applications that retain their last position usually somehow checks to see if they are outside the current desktop area and if so adjusts, eg by letting Windows pick a default position.
That is what VoiceAttack does as well; On startup, if the main window is outside the display area, it should appear at the center of the primary display, instead.

What is the resolution of your monitor? Was VoiceAttack's main window on the edge between the projector and the monitor?

If the main window is just on the edge (E.G. 1919), it'll remain there, and be pretty much invisible.

mattiasonline

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2019, 11:51:30 AM »
You're right, it was right by the edge between the projector and the monitor! Must've been 1919 because I didn't see it.  :)  I tested it and if it's 1920+ the window does reposition itself correctly.

Both projector and monitor is 1920x1080.

Xariyl

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2019, 08:38:51 PM »
If using a Windows PC, hold down the WinKey + Shift, and the left or right arrow keys. This will move the active program from one monitor desktop to another. Or, WinKey + Left or Right Arrow will try to dock it to the edge of the screen. If at the edge, use the command again to push it to the next monitor.

When you first open VA, the program will have focus even if it’s not displayed on the active monitor. You can use the Windows hotkeys to move it around until it’s visible again. I use this trick a lot for all Windows programs, not just VA :)

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12445/windows-keyboard-shortcuts

mattiasonline

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2019, 12:00:23 AM »
Good tip, thanks!