Author Topic: Output to Teamspeak/Discord/game PTT?  (Read 1603 times)

PabloDiablo

Output to Teamspeak/Discord/game PTT?
« on: July 27, 2019, 10:15:41 PM »
First, yes I know this idea is open to abuse.  But I think a responsible application would be both useful and immersive.  For example, in one instance, I’m looking at using it on a multi-crew ship where I can have VA aid in situational awareness and logistics.

In short, is there a way to get VA to output *some* sound files or TTS through discord, teamspeak, or a game’s existing PTT system?  This would want to be a toggled/flagged option so that only in certain circumstances (bingo fuel, certain combat situations, etc) would an audio prompt be broadcast, or after a certain vocal prompt from me.  (Albeit for at least one game I’m exploring this option for, we’re still waiting on an API...).  And yes, I realize that in games with directional audio, the VA responses would seem to be emanating from me... c’est la vie.

I suspect this is a tricky driver/port conundrum, and a non-starter, but figured it would be worth it to ask.

TIA

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: Output to Teamspeak/Discord/game PTT?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2019, 10:22:26 PM »
Have you looked into Voicemeeter (not affiliated with VoiceAttack)?

VoiceAttack can output to a selected output device; Voicemeeter has virtual output devices you can send audio to, from where it can be sent to a virtual input device. Voicemeeter should enable you to combine that virtual output with the sound from your microphone, so you can send both simultaneously to a single virtual input device, which you then set up as the microphone in the target application.

PabloDiablo

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2019, 10:29:34 PM »
Very interesting!  I’ll check it out.

Apologies if this is self evident - I’m doing some planning while on a long bus ride and don’t have the software in front of me. Is there a way (perhaps by executing commands to the same virtual mixer?) to get VA to switch between only outputting to the default device (headphones) and outputting to a combined device (headphones + output to game/discord/TS)?

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2019, 10:39:28 PM »
If it's a sound file you're playing, each "Play a Sound" action can only have one "Channel" (I.E. output device), so you can play it once for each output device, and make it conditional depending on which devices you want to output to.

E.G.
Code: [Select]
Begin Text Compare : [OutputDevice] Contains 'Headphones'
    Play sound, '{VA_SOUNDS}\sound.mp3'
End Condition
Begin Text Compare : [OutputDevice] Contains 'Game output'
    Play sound, '{VA_SOUNDS}\sound.mp3'
End Condition
So you can set "OutputDevice" to "Headphones", "Game output", or "Headphones + Game output" to control where it plays (the action list currently does not show the output device; Feature request here).

PabloDiablo

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2019, 10:41:44 PM »
Awesome.  Thank you very much.