Author Topic: Number 8  (Read 1855 times)

SemlerPDX

• Global Moderator
  • Upstanding Lunatic
    • My AVCS Homepage
Number 8
« on: July 11, 2019, 10:09:27 AM »
Hello all!

I am trying to brainstorm ideas to get around a recognition issue.  Number: 8

I've been working with VoiceAttack since 2015, and understand recognition issues very well.  One thing I've never been able to get around, and something I avoid using for anything important, is single word recognition of the number 8.  I have no issues with any other single number, except for the rare recognition of the alpha version (seven,five,etc.).

I first noticed it tinkering with a voice calculator, but now it's causing issues with a bookmark system I'm creating.

"Create a new bookmark"

"What number will this bookmark be?"

"8"

...crickets...

"Bookmark number _ , set. Is this correct?"

"No!"

"Would you like to try again?"

:-X

I've tried creating a dummy command of [1..100] just for recognition purposes, but it never catches the word 8 no matter what I do.  I have a General American Accent, so I doubt there is issue there (I sound like yankee newsmen).

Any ideas would be very helpful!  I've thought of using a second word that gets dropped (like "Number 8") but when I do that, it ALWAYS uses the alpha version of 8 (Recognized:  'number eight').

Code: [Select]
Say, '{TXT:TTS_DBS_BookmarkNumberRequest}'  (and wait until it completes)
Wait for spoken response: '[1..100]'
Say, 'Bookmark [entry' or 'number] {TXT:~avcs_temp_text_number}, set. Is this correct?'  (and wait until it completes)

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: Number 8
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2019, 10:15:17 AM »
If you're having issues with a specific word, you could try adding a custom pronunciation to the dictionary.

You can use the "Add/Remove Dictionary Words" item in the "Utilities >" context menu on the "Recognition" tab of the VoiceAttack "Options" window to do so.

SemlerPDX

• Global Moderator
  • Upstanding Lunatic
    • My AVCS Homepage
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2019, 11:06:52 AM »
Wow - that was a great suggestion.  It worked straight off.  I'm glad I asked for help, I completely forgot about that thing.  I have only two words in there from long ago, "gunsight", and "interdictor".  Never thought to use it for a commonly known word just for extra help in recognition like number 8.  Was literally able to record the way I say it, too.

Works perfectly now.  Thank you very much, Pfeil!  Have a great day!

Technomancer

• I have a bad feeling about this...
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2019, 02:49:24 PM »
The only thing I don't like about Pfeil helping is that it takes him 2, sometimes a full 3 seconds...

Other than that, he's OK. ;)