Author Topic: v1.5.10 Crashes on Start  (Read 9326 times)

VampireNZ

v1.5.10 Crashes on Start
« on: July 16, 2016, 04:19:10 AM »
New user here, just starting using VA and 1.5.9 was working fine. Just updated to 1.5.10 and initially got the attached pic warning for first start attempt - and now it just crashes every start after about 2 seconds with this fault..

SharpDX.SharpDXException: HRESULT: [0x80070006], Module: [General], ApiCode: [E_HANDLE/Invalid handle], Message: The handle is invalid.

at SharpDX.Result.CheckError()
   at SharpDX.DirectInput.Device.SetCooperativeLevel(IntPtr arg0, CooperativeLevel arg1)
   at VAJS.VAJS.(Guid , Int32 )
   at VAJS.VAJS.()
   at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart_Context(Object state)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
   at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()

EDIT:

Further to my last - the above fault was using the file downloaded from the main page with the disk picture, after a full uninstall.
I just downloaded the zip of VA - unpacked it, re-registered and bam it is working fine no install required?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 04:23:29 AM by VampireNZ »

xondk

Re: v1.5.10 Crashes on Start
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2016, 05:50:21 PM »
Where did you find a zip of VA?

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2016, 05:59:47 PM »
I will check this out.

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2016, 06:02:06 PM »
Zipped VoiceAttack is here:  http://www.voiceattack.com/filesend.aspx?id=voiceattackinstaller.zip

If that works for you, xondk, it's probably the installer that's gimped up.

xondk

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2016, 06:05:08 PM »
Zipped VoiceAttack is here:  http://www.voiceattack.com/filesend.aspx?id=voiceattackinstaller.zip

If that works for you, xondk, it's probably the installer that's gimped up.
I think it might be installer, as I noticed upon uninstalling that it didn't "upgrade" correctly from the old version, basically said I had two different voice attacks installed.

Update: that did not fix it, crashes still, so not installer.

Update 2: that said no way to select a different profile then default for startup anymore?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 06:08:42 PM by xondk »

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2016, 07:19:03 PM »
I can only surmise that it's the installer, as all the files that are in the zip are the same files that are pulled in by the installer.  The installer doesn't do anything special, it just unpacks the files into the directory you specify.  There are no dll's to register or anything like that.  What I did different this time was digitally sign the installer .exe myself instead of letting the installer software do it.  Not sure if that's going to do the trick or not, but it's out there to try if you would like:

http://www.voiceattack.com/beta

VampireNZ

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2016, 03:24:06 AM »
I also think it is related to installing to Program Files folder. Even thou I run as admin, it won't run from inside the PF folder, even running the zip version - which works fine if I just dump the folder on my storage drive.

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2016, 07:27:25 AM »
I just put a replacement beta build out for v1.5.10.1, making sure all the assemblies are signed.

Please let me know if that helps!

VampireNZ

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2016, 10:33:16 PM »
You know I would love to help you out....but now that I have it working and am getting used to using it, I don't want to tempt fate lol. Fool me once etc etc  ;)

Tuanta

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2016, 07:43:53 PM »
Was getting the same issue here on both normal and beta install.
Installing fresh from the zip package resolved the issue.

Code: [Select]
SharpDX.SharpDXException: HRESULT: [0x80070006], Module: [General], ApiCode: [E_HANDLE/Invalid handle], Message: The handle is invalid.

at SharpDX.DirectInput.Device.SetCooperativeLevel(IntPtr arg0, CooperativeLevel arg1)
   at VAJS.VAJS.pollDevice(Guid deviceInstanceGuid, Int32 deviceNumber)
   at VAJS.VAJS.()
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
   at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2016, 09:49:14 AM »
I'm still trying to figure this one out.  The quickest remedy is to delete the VAJS.dll file, and then VoiceAttack will assume that joystick support is not included.  This of course removes joystick input support from VoiceAttack.

It seems like copying the files from the zipped version will fix the issue for some, but not for others.  I've tried this install on seven machines so far (different versions of Windows, different UAC settings) and I'm still not able to reproduce the problem.  If I can consistently reproduce the problem, I can usually fix it, however, this one is just not popping up for me.

Some questions for anybody having this problem.  Is the user account used to install VoiceAttack an administrator account?  Was VoiceAttack running when you installed the new version?

stevef

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2016, 03:20:45 PM »
Getting the same results with 1.5.10, even with the beta.
No matter where it is installed, just wont start.

Had to go back to 1.5.9

at VAJS.VAJS.(Guid , Int32 )
   at VAJS.VAJS.()
   at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()SharpDX.SharpDXException: HRESULT: [0x80070006], Module: [General], ApiCode: [E_HANDLE/Invalid handle], Message: The handle is invalid.

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2016, 09:44:31 PM »
New beta available.  Hoping this problem is fixed ;)

http://www.voiceattack.com/beta