Author Topic: Microphones  (Read 3197 times)

Vlodec

Microphones
« on: April 20, 2019, 02:52:56 PM »
I get very tired of having to repeat commands. I've tried several headsets - wired and wireless - but the problem persists. I'm using the onboard sound facility; would a separate sound card help, and if so is there a recommended card?

Gary

• Administrator
Re: Microphones
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2019, 03:26:59 PM »
Have you tried a quality, noise-cancelling USB headset?  It could be that you have a bit of noise on your system.

You'll also want to check out this thread -   https://forum.voiceattack.com/smf/index.php?topic=1635.0

It's a bit of a read, but it may have some tips in there that may be helpful.

Exergist

• Global Moderator
  • Ride the lightning
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2019, 12:03:00 PM »
I use a ModMic (3.5mm jack) for in-app/game input and it is generally reported that using a USB sound card helps eliminate white noise that is sometimes (often?) present when the plug is connected directly to the motherboard or header extensions. This may be a ModMic-specific issue, but I'm inclined to think otherwise.

So if you use want to use a mic with 3.5mm audio input maybe give a USB sound card like this or this (I use the latter) a try before you plunk down cash for a different USB microphone.

Agent86

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2019, 01:35:07 PM »
I use a ModMic (3.5mm jack) for in-app/game input and it is generally reported that using a USB sound card helps eliminate white noise that is sometimes (often?) present when the plug is connected directly to the motherboard or header extensions. This may be a ModMic-specific issue, but I'm inclined to think otherwise.

So if you use want to use a mic with 3.5mm audio input maybe give a USB sound card like this or this (I use the latter) a try before you plunk down cash for a different USB microphone.

NO, I don't think it's mic specific but what actual model is this headset.
Check that you have trained your Windows Speech Recognition and that Cortana is recognizing you. Test a few Cortana commands and / or searches to see if things are working with that first.

Some headset mic doesn't have any noise cancelling features nor in the software. However, there are some noise cancelling software that might help you a bit.

Samson makes a downloadable for $3.99 and had very good digital noise cancelling and echo cancelling. However, if this is not the problem then it will be a waste just like the USB sound device your considering. Start with Speech Engine training first and make sure you training in the environment with the noise that you intent to have in the backround when using VoiceAttack etc.

I guess the question is this:
When you issue a command does it sound like other commands and just gets the commands wrong ?
Or does it not even hear your command ?
Have you checked voiceattack settings/recognition tab ? There are some settings there to try.

Saying things twice sound like either a delay with the recognition which could be related to connection and/or wireless connection if your on wifi or background noise, or low gain on your mic, or speech engine needs better retraining in the environment you plan to use voiceattack.

Does putting the mic closer to your mouth help or not ? Or further away better recognition ? This might help determine if it's low gain or low recognition because of noisy environment or white noise etc.

Exergist

• Global Moderator
  • Ride the lightning
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2019, 11:15:26 AM »
Test a few Cortana commands and / or searches to see if things are working with that first.

Another option for testing is to take VA out of the equation entirely. Use Windows Speech Recognition and dictate some text in Notepad to see if the base speech engine is picking things up as you would expect.