Author Topic: Sync Profile across multiple computers  (Read 2873 times)

Ectropian

Sync Profile across multiple computers
« on: March 12, 2019, 11:35:39 AM »
[Topic] Is there any way?  My home computer, my laptop, my 5-6 Profiles, my "Main" profile, my Addons.. etc.. ??

From what I'm seeing is that the profiles are stored internally until exported.  Is there 1 specific file, What if I installed VA into my C:\Google Drive by default?

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: Sync Profile across multiple computers
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2019, 12:16:13 PM »
Profiles are stored in a database file named "VoiceAttack.dat":

Click , click the "System / Advanced" tab, click "Click here to browse VoiceAttack's data folder." to open the folder containing it.

Neither settings nor the profile database are in the installation folder, so installing to a synced folder would not work.

You could copy the profile database to that folder though, and use the -datadir command line option:
Quote from: VoiceAttackHelp.pdf page 129
-datadir “Directory Path” Allows you to indicate the directory of VoiceAttack’s data file(VoiceAttack.dat) and its associated backups.
If the VoiceAttack.dat file does not exist in the indicated directory when a profile has been updated, a new VoiceAttack.dat will be created. Note that double quotes are only necessary if your profile name has spaces in it.
This does not affect the running instance.

Example: -datadir “C:\Users\MrAwesome\Desktop\MyData” will look for the VoiceAttack.dat file in the “C:\Users\MrAwesome\Desktop\MyData” directory.

The settings are in a separate file("user.config"), in a subfolder of "%localappdata%\VoiceAttack.com", however there is no native method for loading it from a different location.

Ectropian

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2019, 12:21:09 PM »
Awesome!  Thanks.  So, manually set separate setting; Sync .dat file.

I am assuming you cannot run multiple VA sessions off a single .dat file?  So VA running on 2 computers sharing 1 .dat file would probably fault error and quit.

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2019, 12:35:45 PM »
Although not supported or recommended, if you're just reading from the .dat file you should be ok with concurrent connections (I do this a lot with development).  I often write to the .dat file with multiple instances of VA open, however, I've not done any testing to see how it affects other open instances.