Author Topic: Cannot browse to import a profile  (Read 2777 times)

ysteros

Cannot browse to import a profile
« on: December 28, 2018, 01:07:58 PM »
As the tittle says.I did everything by the letter,First install VA,then the tools and then the HCS pack itself
But when i try to import a profile i cannot browse to find that profile.
it is simply not responding,i left it four hours to see if everything come back to normal,no luck
reinstall everything,the same
i also copy the .vap file to documents because is the start window to search for profiles also with no luck
im stuck pls tell me what to do
I have the steam version of VA and the voice pack is for SC

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: Cannot browse to import a profile
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2018, 05:20:23 PM »
I would assume VoiceAttack uses "openFileDialog", which is built into Windows, so having it lock up like that is quite odd.

Does this happen with other file picking dialogs, for example when choosing a sound for the "Play a Sound" action?

Either way, you'll want to try this:
One thing I always suggest is running a system file scan (which is something that you should do from time to time anyway):  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929833/use-the-system-file-checker-tool-to-repair-missing-or-corrupted-system

Another thing you may wish to try is to reset VoiceAttack's config, as the last used path for importing does get stored there; Hold Shift+Ctrl while starting VoiceAttack and check the "Reset VoiceAttack settings to initial values (does not affect profiles or registration)" option, then click "OK".
« Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 07:58:28 PM by Pfeil »

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2018, 07:54:08 PM »
If you've uninstalled and reinstalled, that eliminates a borked up installation.  What you are experiencing is going to stem from a problematic file somewhere in Windows and is presenting itself through VoiceAttack.  Running a system file scan as Pfeil has suggested will be your best course of action.

ysteros

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2018, 05:51:58 AM »
i try everything you both suggest with no luck at all.Anywayz i think i found a solution.
Made a shortcut of VA in desktop,then right click the icon,Troubleshoot Compatibility,and then Try recommended settings.
This way i was able to browse to vap file and select it.

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2018, 08:06:33 AM »
Interesting workaround, ysteros.  What version of Windows are you using?