Author Topic: Solved Find -- Replace  (Read 1098 times)

D.D.Harriman

Solved Find -- Replace
« on: November 03, 2018, 07:02:53 PM »
Is there a way to do a mass find-replace of a word(s) in my commands.

I am using VA for EDH and I have two commanders. I initially created commands that started with the Commanders Name but I want to change the Commanders Name to the Name of the Ship.
Is there a way to do that other than one command at a time for each of the approximately 120 commands for each commander??

-----------------------------------------------
Couple false starts on this but finally got it done.

For anyone else that might want to do something like this here is what I did.
Found the profile.
Opened it with WordPad
Used the REPLACE to find and replace what I wanted to change. I was lucky in that I used upper case letters DD and Mac in the commands so I could specify MATCH CASE to find and replace only what I wanted.
Then here is where it got hairy. I tried to SAVE AS but it didn't allow me to use the .vap
I had to simply do a SAVE but that over wrote the original file. Fortunately I had a separate Back Up of the original file for possible use in the future.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 08:18:06 AM by D.D.Harriman »

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: Find -- Replace
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2018, 08:42:55 PM »
If you export the profile, you can open the generated .vap in a text editor(Notepad or similar; Not Word), do a find and replace, save the changes to the file, then import the profile into VoiceAttack again.

D.D.Harriman

Re: Find -- Replace
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2018, 06:33:57 AM »
OK.. I see how my first attempt at that failed.. I didn't specify "MATCH CASE" so it was finding things I didn't want to change.
Question is,, when done, will I be able to save it as a .vap file..

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: Solved Find -- Replace
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2018, 01:16:17 PM »
Wordpad doesn't allow saving with an arbitrary extension, but Notepad does: If you select "All File (*.*)" in the "Save as type:" dropdown, you can type in the extension you need.

If you have Explorer set up to show extensions, you can also save as .txt and change it after the fact.