Author Topic: RunAsAdmin via "Compatibility Administrator" VA is unable to find speech engine  (Read 2989 times)

Hannibal

Hello,

I used the Microsoft Program "Compatibility Administrator" to disable UAC for Voiceattack.
After that Voiceattack doesn't recognize the microsoft speech engine anymore (using Win10 64bit).

I checked these boxes: "RunAsAdmin & RunAsInvoker" in the "Compatibility Administrator"

At first, I had checked only "RunsasInvoker" to disable UAC for Voiceattack. Nevertheless, the UAC message was still showing up, but Voiceattack was working.
Then I selected "RunAsAdmin" as well. From now every time I start Voiceattack it appears the message that voiceattack is unable to find the speech engine.

So I've undone all settings/fixes I made for voiceattack. Nevertheless, Voiceattack still does not recognize the windows speech engine.

regards

Gary

• Administrator
Hi, Hannibal.  The only thing I can offer is that you've somehow restricted the permissions to your speech engine in some way (either by restricting VA or restricting your user account).  This is the very first time in like a decade that I've heard of this kind of situation, so it's going to have to be researched.  I'm a little afraid to try to replicate what you have done, as I'd like to maintain a working machine lol ;)  Perhaps later this evening or over the weekend I can pop open a virtual machine and see if I can make this happen as well.  Just shooting from the hip... have you tried installing VA in a different folder just to see if the rights just affect *that* installation?

Hannibal

Now i changed the installation path but nothing changed so far

Gary

• Administrator
Is it possible for you to indicate the steps you took with the compatibility tool?

Hannibal

sure  I will  make a video tomorrow

Gary

• Administrator
A lot of steps?  o_O

Hannibal

Not really

- Start Compatibility Administrator 32-bit
- Click on "Fix"
- everything filled except the middle one
- In the next window I chosed "RunAsAdmin" & "RunAsInvoker"
- Click on next
- Click on Finish

- File >>> Save As
- File  >>> Install

At first, I did those steps without "RunAsAdmin" and I had no bigger issues with Voiceattack, but it was useless because VoiceAttack won't automatically start (Autostart) with "RunAsInvoker" Fix. So I had Voiceattack start manually.
I have to run a Game as an Admin and that's one reason why I checked the second Box named "RunASAdmin".
from now on Voiceattack tell me everytime "unable to find a working speech engine".

Update:
I did these Steps right now again  with "RunAsAdmin" & "RunAsInvoker". And Voiceattack start with a new message window (i should train the speech engine) but it worked. But I started Voiceaatack with the Run Button in the Compatibility Administrator.
If i start Voiceattack via double click on the VoiceAttack.exe file then it doesn't work "unable to find a working speech engine"
« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 06:57:44 AM by Hannibal »

Hannibal

Do you have any ideas to solve this issue?

iceblast

This little program may help with your problem. I would reverse what you did so far, and put VA back in working order, then try this program.

https://stefansundin.github.io/elevatedstartup/