Author Topic: [v1.7.2.1] Queue can be paused while stopped  (Read 1643 times)

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
[v1.7.2.1] Queue can be paused while stopped
« on: August 06, 2018, 01:53:03 PM »
While a queue is stopped, the "Pause" option of the Queue Action action will toggle the paused status of said queue, leading to the "Start" option not actually running the queue, but instead moving it from "Stopped" to "Paused" status without executing any commands in it.

Is this by design?

Using the "Start" option on a paused queue displays "Queue [] already started", and the queue remains paused.

I'm comparing this to a media player, as this is the most familiar queuing system to me, where pressing pause will pause, pressing pause again will play, but pressing play while paused will also play. Pressing pause when stopped does nothing.

EDIT: All items covered fixed or implemented in v1.7.2.16
« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 03:24:05 PM by Pfeil »

Gary

• Administrator
Re: [v1.7.2.1] Queue can be paused while stopped
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2018, 02:45:14 PM »
I've changed this up so that if a queue is not started paused is always false (which includes not being able to set the pause to true when the queue is not started).  Does that cover what you are talking about?

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2018, 02:49:51 PM »
Would it make sense to have "Start" also unpause the queue?

Running "Stop" on a stopped queue clears it, meaning it performs as expected regardless of the state of the queue.

If running "Start" on a queue always means the queue will run, regardless if it's starting from a stopped or a paused state, feels like it's more consistent behavior.

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2018, 02:56:40 PM »
Ok... calling Start on a paused queue will unpause the queue if it is paused.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2018, 03:16:18 PM »
Perfect :D

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2018, 02:27:27 AM »
calling Start on a paused queue will unpause the queue if it is paused.
Is this change included with v1.7.2.11?

Starting a queue while it's paused will result in a "Queue [] already started" message in the log, while the queue remains paused.

While a queue can no longer be paused if it's stopped, pausing still writes "Pausing queue []" to the log. Would it be feasible to have this provide feedback like "Queue [] cannot be paused while it is stopped" instead?

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2018, 09:26:19 PM »
Starting a queue while it's paused will result in a "Queue [] already started" message in the log, while the queue remains paused.

Thanks for the heads-up.  I changed the logic in the object but not where the action was checking.  Should be good to go now.

While a queue can no longer be paused if it's stopped, pausing still writes "Pausing queue []" to the log. Would it be feasible to have this provide feedback like "Queue [] cannot be paused while it is stopped" instead?

I've updated a bunch of verbiage in regards to the queue actions - I think that may be covered o_O

I put a version out in the, 'unofficial' bin if you'd like to get it:  http://www.voiceattack.com/unofficial

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2018, 12:08:12 PM »
Looks good in v1.7.2.14 :D

One final thought: Would it make sense to have starting a queue that's currently idle tell the user that it's empty?

Currently it prints "Queue [] already started" to the log.

I figure if the user expects a queued command to execute but the queue is in fact empty, if they assume nothing is happening because the queue is instead not running yet, having an alternative or extended message may make that situation clearer.

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2018, 04:10:13 PM »
Adding an additional check - 'Empty queue [] already started' will now be in the log ;)