Author Topic: Voice attack issues - forces startup even with selective boot!  (Read 2040 times)

Globespy

The latest version of VA 1.7.0.15 has something wrong with it.
Despite having all startup options in VA app disabled it starts anyway.
There's no mention of VA in startup services or programs either - it should not be starting up.

But to be extra sure, I chose to reboot Windows set to only allow Windows processes to launch at startup.
None of the programs or services that I normally allow on startup (Steam etc) DID NOT start as expected.
However, VA is the ONLY app that says "F&*$ You" and just starts anyway!

How in the f$%& is this even possible?
There's no physical trace of authority for this app to even do any of this, yet it has the power to override the OS boot commands?
WTF!?

This is getting pretty close to being Malware at this point and I need it to stop.
I purchased a licence and this is not cool guys.

Gary

• Administrator
Re: Voice attack issues - forces startup even with selective boot!
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2018, 11:51:18 AM »
The option to turn this on and off is located in Options > General > Launch with Windows Start. 
Not sure what is going on with your setup, but the code that VA is using to facilitate that is about as basic as it can get. 

You're going to need to run something like AutoRunS  (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/autoruns) to see if you're somehow added VA to some other place in your system for startup.

It's not, 'malware' lol...  if it was malware and did what you are saying it is doing on its own, this forum would be flooded.

Globespy

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2018, 11:56:03 AM »
Thanks, I will try out your suggestions.
Microsoft support were unable to figure it out via remote desktop connection.

I didn't say it was malware....I indicated that it's starting to look like it. You know, a program that does what the heck it likes

UPDATE:

Installed Autoruns and disabled VA from there. Not sure how it managed to get there in scheduled tasks when opening scheduled tasks had no record of it, so it was in essence a 'hidden' scheduled task.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 12:04:12 PM by Globespy »

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2018, 12:17:51 PM »
VoiceAttack does not add itself to scheduled tasks.  VoiceAttack's startup flag is strictly registry-based, so if you run AutoRunS after turning the option on from the Options screen, you'll see an entry for HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run and that's it.  Anything else would mean that VA was added to startup by some other means.

How in the f$%& is this even possible?
There's no physical trace of authority for this app to even do any of this, yet it has the power to override the OS boot commands?
WTF!?

This is getting pretty close to being Malware at this point and I need it to stop.
I purchased a licence and this is not cool guys.

Not sure how I concluded you were indicating VA was malware.  My apologies.