Author Topic: [v1.7.0.8] "Window Speech Recording Device" reverts when closing options window  (Read 2048 times)

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
After modifying the "Window Speech Recording Device" slider and clicking "OK", the volume changes to the set value, and the slider reflects that value when the options menu is next opened.

However, if subsequently either the "OK" or "Cancel" buttons are clicked without moving the slider, the volume will revert back to the initial(speech recognition engine-set) volume.

I verified the volume changes in the control panel, so it's not just a visual issue.

This does not occur if the "Set Speech Recording Device Volume on Startup" option is checked(but will again occur immediately after unchecking that option and closing the options window).

In addition, the log now displays "Recording device volume changed from X to X." after modifying the slider(not when triggering the above issue, presumably because the slider isn't modified, nor on startup if the "Set Speech Recording Device Volume on Startup" option is enabled); Is this supposed to be there or is it left-over debugging text?

EDIT: Rendered irrelevant:
v1.7.0.9

-  Design Change

-  Removed the, 'Set Speech Recording Device Volume on Startup' slider introduced in prior beta.
       It was serving as a mask to the real underlying problem of having your mic volume automatically
       adjusted by the speech engine to compensate for a less-than-optimal speech training session.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 01:44:34 PM by Pfeil »

Gary

• Administrator
Hmmm.  Beginning to think the volume control here is a bad idea.  I know that the speech engine is stopped when the Options screen is opened and then restarted when it is closed.  Does your speech engine automatically modify the volume on instantiation?  I'm thinking it is, and since the value hasn't changed, it does not update again (since it does not update, the speech engine starts up with its self-modified volume).  Right now it modifies the volume when you click, 'OK' (if the slider is actually changed).  What I may need to do is just make that setting ONLY modify the volume on startup or make VA constantly update that value when the options screen is opened/closed. 

Wondering if I should remove the volume control and just add a System/Advanced option that turns the compensation off in the registry o_O  ???

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Does your speech engine automatically modify the volume on instantiation?
Yes, from what I can tell.

What I may need to do is just make that setting ONLY modify the volume on startup or make VA constantly update that value when the options screen is opened/closed. 
Wondering if I should remove the volume control and just add a System/Advanced option that turns the compensation off in the registry o_O  ???
The former does have the advantage of being temporary, so that theoretically it doesn't affect other applications using the speech recognition engine that run while VoiceAttack is closed.

The latter can also make sense, as the main reason I can see for changing the recording device volume as it relates to VoiceAttack specifically is to override what the speech recognition engine determined to be most suitable.

The main argument in general against changing the speech recognition engine-set volume is that it's there for a reason, I.E. setting it manually higher or lower than ideal would likely affect recognition.

I feel either option would benefit from a clear warning that if the volume difference is too large it could affect speech recognition working correctly.