Author Topic: Overwrite to event log  (Read 2342 times)

Exergist

• Global Moderator
  • Ride the lightning
Overwrite to event log
« on: April 10, 2018, 11:27:55 AM »
Currently VA can only write new lines of text to the event log via Write a Value to the Event Log. It would also be neat to have the option to overwrite the most recent line in the event log.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: Overwrite to event log
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2018, 01:51:46 PM »
In which context are you looking to use this? The most recent line is not guaranteed to belong to your command, so you'd be blindly removing information from the log.

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2018, 08:16:05 PM »
Also, something to else to note (while I'm thinking about it) is that the main screen log works asynchronously, queued in its own thread which is actually on a timer (although it seems like it's pretty much instant), plus the queue has some overflow protection to keep it from getting too far behind (lops off too many, 'write to log' calls).  In other words, it's not real-time and Pfeil is right... it's anybody's guess as to what's going in there so you may be clearing out info that you didn't mean to while leaving the one you wanted to clear intact ;)

Exergist

• Global Moderator
  • Ride the lightning
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2018, 07:47:37 AM »
The most recent line is not guaranteed to belong to your command
Actually I haven't really noticed that much, which why I figured an overwrite might be useful.

it's not real-time and Pfeil is right... it's anybody's guess as to what's going in there so you may be clearing out info that you didn't mean to while leaving the one you wanted to clear intact
Well can't argue with that! :)

Thanks for the feedback.