Author Topic: Saying Humanizing Numbers  (Read 3017 times)

Bumble B

• Bumble B Gaming
Saying Humanizing Numbers
« on: November 27, 2017, 04:38:05 PM »
Would it be possible to get the say command to humanise numbers?

I mean when VA says a number instead of saying 1023 it says "Just over One thousand"

This is the function in the VA plugin EDDI2 and has this function when its "saying"
--
CMDR Bumble B รถ7
ASUS P6TD Deluxe, Intel i7 960 @ 3.2GHz, 12Gb G.Skill, Windows 7 SP1 (64bit), ASUS Geforce GTX 970 Strix (4Gb), ThrustMaster T-Flight HOTAS X, Cosair Void RGB USB Gaming Headset, TrackIR, EDDI, Voice Attack, ED Engineer

Mike308

Re: Saying Humanizing Numbers
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2017, 01:49:32 PM »
I wanted a similar effect with respect to time. I didn't need "At the tone the time will be FOUR, THIRTY-TWO..." but more like "It's around four-thirty."  In my case (with Pfeil's help) I built a Condition Statement that divided a 24-hour clock into quarter hours offset by seven minutes from the norm, so "Around noon" started at seven minutes before twelve till seven minutes after, when it changed then to "Bout a quarter past twelve" and so forth. It was a bit of work but the results are great. Now if I ask at 3am it can say "For pete sake, its 3 in the morning, go to bed" and so forth.

Doing so for numbers in general might be something you can achieve with tokens (something I am just beginning to glimpse). But I'd think that up front you could declare tokens that state your preferred rounding parameters, so >750 but <1200 might be "Around a thousand". You'd need a table of them I'd think, but when the API pulled in a value, it would run against the declared tokens and the right text would spill out in the SAY command.

Sadly, I am probably butchering the explanation, but while it might not be a checkbox feature just yet, I think with a bit of work you can get the effect you are looking for.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: Saying Humanizing Numbers
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2017, 02:00:02 PM »
This particular case was solved by using the mentioned EDDI function in an inline function, which produces the exact same result as EDDI does(it's literally the same algorithm).