Author Topic: Can "Edit a Command" take input from a joystick?  (Read 4953 times)

Chad711

Can "Edit a Command" take input from a joystick?
« on: December 03, 2017, 05:57:37 PM »
I think I know the answer to this but just want to make sure. It seems only keyboard and mouse input is accepted when making a command in VA. I have a joystick (part of a sim racing wheel) and I want a command to work when I press the joystick input. Is this not possible?

If not I will just use Joy2Key to do what I need but would prefer one less program running if I can.

Thank you

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: Can "Edit a Command" take input from a joystick?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 03:27:39 AM »
Are you referring to actually creating a command(adding actions, changing settings, etc..), or triggering a command?

To use a joystick-type device(Joystick, gamepad, steering wheel, etc..), you need to assign it to a VoiceAttack joystick slot first:
  • Click
  • in the "General" tab click "Joystick Options"
  • click the "+" symbol next to the gamepad icon
  • select your device from the list
  • click "OK"
  • enable the POV hat switches(if any)
  • click "OK" on the "Joystick Options"
  • finally click "OK" on the "Options" window.

Now you can assign joystick buttons to trigger commands by adding or editing a command, checking the "When I press button" option, pressing a button on your device, and clicking "OK"(Make sure to save the profile afterwards by clicking "OK" on the "Edit/Add a Command" window, and "Done" on the "Edit/Add a Profile" window).

EDIT: Fixed image links
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 04:49:05 PM by Pfeil »

Chad711

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2017, 11:02:30 AM »
Thanks for your reply. I am referring to editing commands. I have enabled the joystick as you mentioned, previously actually. However when I edit a command the only option it shows is "Press a key on your keyboard to set the value". I do not see any option to select the joystick as the value.

Gangrel

• Caffeine Fulled Mod
  • Global Moderator
  • BORK FNORK BORD
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2017, 01:53:53 PM »
Ah, in this case you want VA to *press* a joystick button when you say a command?

If so, then no luck there.

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2017, 02:41:54 PM »
Right... if you want to *press* joystick buttons, you are out of luck natively... unless you want to jump through the hoops indicated here:  http://voiceattack.com/SMF/index.php?topic=463.0