Author Topic: Voice attack not responding in ED  (Read 11762 times)

Grumpy

Voice attack not responding in ED
« on: September 05, 2017, 11:59:57 AM »
Hi all!

I am having issues with VA not responding within ED. It seems to work fine when VA is first launched and also when ED launcher is on screen. However once I load the game up or go into the control settings for ED, VA stops responding.
On a fresh boot up of PC, VA can be heard when ED has loaded, but it won't respond to commands. On subsequent loads VA is unresponsive once ED has started to load.
I have checked the "send to" box, and tried both "active window" and "Elite Dangerous Client." Neither made any difference.
I have un-installed VA and reinstalled an older version, but this also makes no difference.

I have had VA working successfully in the past (using KICS), but have had a break away from pc for a few months.

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: Voice attack not responding in ED
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2017, 03:34:40 PM »
VA stops responding.
Does the application actually freeze, or VoiceAttack still hearing commands but E:D not receiving input?

blueeagle66

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2017, 07:15:00 PM »
Sorry to jump in on someone thread but I came here because I have the very same issue!
It's been driving me insane.
It works fine for a while and then nothing.
I had VA on my other screen so I could see what it was doing.
When it starts playing up, VA appears to hear me, but what it hears appears to be a mixture of previous commands.
So then of course VA doesn't recognise the command because the first bit it said it hears is a command I said earlier attached to the start of my latest command.
But it didn't recognise the previous command either.
Funny enough, if I mess about with my mic volume then it starts working again for a while, but the same issue starts again.
First I thought it was my speech recognition, so today I spent a good half an hour or so going going through the exercises to get Windows to understand me better three times. Other than suffering from a bad case of dry-mouth that went through pretty sweet.
I'm using two HCS voicepacks with 1.67 of VoiceAttack on Windows 10 x64
****Update****
I closed down ED, and tried VA again.
I had the Voicepack already loaded and tried a simple command of "Voice Control off"
It didn't work so I tried "Voice control on". Again, no luck.
On the second command, this appeared in the log.
02:17:27 - Unrecognized : 'if thief voice control off voice control off voice control off voice control on'

I quit VA and re-loaded, and tried again. It still didn't know what I was saying.
So I turned down my mic level, and hey presto it started responding perfectly again?
If it keeps working fine when I get back to ED then I'm happy.
But if it follows a normal pattern it'll work fine for a while, and then decide I'm talking trash again until  play around with my mic level.
I'm going to do the registry thing again if I can find it to disable the auto mic volume that occurs when VA is loaded and try that too.
Okay, I have gone into the registry and disabled the auto mic volume for Speech Recognition.
I turned my mic volume down, and so far so good. But I will test in Elite Dangerous tomorrow hopefully.
Once-again, sorry for jumping in on this thread.
BTW, if you want to disable the annoying auto mic volume, then take a look at this video :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUhOyIa41Rw
Now when I load VA my mic volume stays where I put it!

Thanks.
Brian

« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 08:25:34 PM by blueeagle66 »

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2017, 10:13:34 PM »
Hi, guys.  Thanks for the help.  You can also have VA set your mic volume on load by using a, 'Set Audio Level' action in a startup command in your profile and choose microphone/recording device/whatever it's called lol (might save you some time and you don't have to muck with the registry).

blueeagle66

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2017, 04:52:25 AM »
I forgot about the set audio level command.
DOH!

Thanks
Brian

blueeagle66

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2017, 06:06:17 AM »
Hi Gary.

VA was working great and then about 10 minutes later it stopped recognising what I was saying again.
I then tried Cortana  to see if it was my mic, but that responded first time every time and knew exactly what I as saying.
I will roll-back to a previous version of VA and see what happens with that.

blueeagle66

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2017, 07:48:18 AM »
Hi Gary.
I tried VA 1.62 and had the same issue. Arghh!

It worked perfectly and then a few minutes later it started again.
I tried two simple commands. Voice control on and off.

And other various commands.
It stopped responding and this what I got
14:45:34 - Unrecognized : 'Voice control off voice control off voice control off if voice control off after to bridge'
It seems to be keeping hold of previous commands and then getting confused?

Could this be an HCS issue?
Because i'm lost on this.

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2017, 08:58:26 AM »
It is possible that your speech profile could be borked up.  Take a look at this thread:

http://voiceattack.com/SMF/index.php?topic=64.0

You may want to just try a new speech profile untrained (to save some time) until you see if the problem persists.  You'll also want to just hold on to your original speech profile so you don't have to to go through training again.

A system file scan may help, too (doesn't hurt from time to time):
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929833/use-the-system-file-checker-tool-to-repair-missing-or-corrupted-system

Something else to try (also directed at Grumpy) is disabling joysticks, plugins and startup commands by holding down CTRL + SHIFT when launching VA and checking the first three boxes before clicking, 'OK'.

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2017, 09:57:06 PM »
Just thought I would throw this out there:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/583010/discussions/0/1474222595290380810/

There is a thread talking about replacing audio drivers given a situation that sounds similar to this.   Might be worth a look!

Grumpy

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2017, 04:15:38 PM »
No joy with any of the suggestions so far! >:(
My symptoms are very similar to blueeagle's, with the last word of last command repeating and extra words added.

What I have noticed now after messing with the headset and mic levels, is a loud crackling in the headset that wasn't there before, but it does coincide with the sound level meter in VA. This is only once ED has loaded up past the launcher. Once ED is closed down it stops. Similarly once ED is closed down VA starts responding to voice input again.

Grumpy

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2017, 05:19:05 AM »
I am trying a different headset now (Turtle Beech x12), was using a usb headset, and so far it is working as it should! ;D

Pluggins are still disabled. How do I re-enable them to test them out?

TheThingIs

• Global Moderator
    • HCS Voicepacks
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2017, 08:43:34 AM »
The spanner/wrench symbol on VA opens the options menu, on the general tab you will see a checkbox called Enable Plugin Support
The Singularity profile - One profile to rule them all and at HCS we bound them ;)

You see, TheThingIs, eventually you'll be allright.

Grumpy

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2017, 06:19:26 PM »
Thanks, I found it!

I need to do some more testing, but so far with "Plugins" enabled and running EDDI, VA responds to commands, but doesn't activate anything.
Plugins disabled and VA restarted, everything works fine.