Author Topic: Operate on windows via windowclass  (Read 4891 times)

Frici

Operate on windows via windowclass
« on: January 06, 2017, 07:55:53 AM »
Hello,

There is a chance this has been asked before and i missed the topic but is there a way i can have VA operate on windows via specified windowclass instead of window title? some windows change titles a *LOT* or never have a static part in the title making matching it quite painful if not nigh impossible.

another quick question while we are at it, am i only limited in * or can i use any more sophisticated regexp to filter wintitles to work on?

Gary

• Administrator
Re: Operate on windows via windowclass
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2017, 10:34:51 AM »
If you have a later version of VoiceAttack, search the documentation for the term, 'window class' and you'll see this repeated eight times or something like that :

More advanced: If a window cannot be found by title or process name, the window class names will then be checked.  Wildcards apply if you need them.  Note that this will be the class name of the window itself and not the class name of a child control.

The way the targeting works is that the window title is searched first, then the process name and then the class name.  '*' can be used for, 'contains', 'starts with' and 'ends with'.  There is no support for regex, unfortunately.

Frici

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2017, 05:21:14 PM »
If you have a later version of VoiceAttack, search the documentation for the term, 'window class' and you'll see this repeated eight times or something like that

Apparently not. Is there a specific procedure i need to follow in order to upgrade to say, the latest beta? and try with that (which should also give me quite a few more features i read on the forum and could really find my self using? :) )

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2017, 05:28:35 PM »
Is there a specific procedure i need to follow in order to upgrade to say, the latest beta?
You should be able to run the beta installer and overwrite your existing install without issue.

If you want to play it safe, you can back up your existing settings and profile(Though the installer does not touch them); Just copy the contents of "%LOCALAPPDATA%\VoiceAttack.com" and "%APPDATA%/VoiceAttack/" to a safe location.

Frici

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2017, 03:40:39 PM »
Thank you both, i upgraded to the latest beta, apparently my issue can't be resolved with the window class cause more than one applications share it (yay for chrome based desktop web apps).

However now that i bit the bullet and went beta i can rework some things in my VA profiles to cleanup and take advantage of all the great little features/fixes added in.

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2017, 04:08:58 PM »
Quick question... does this have to do with Spotify?

Frici

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2017, 06:14:40 AM »
Quick question... does this have to do with Spotify?

Actually no, it has to do with discord which to my dismay shares the same window class with Chrome and similar apps (unless i was mistaken about it's window class, haven't tried Spy++ to see if it reports something different).

Technical Ben

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2017, 04:46:14 AM »
If it helps others, there is a plugin for Spotify. So I guess most options for programs like this need either the program to support Voice Attack style focus (global keycommands, or searchable processes, unlike Chrome  >:( ) or to have plugins.

http://toastify.codeplex.com/ for the plugin. Get it quick, as codeplex is shutting down. :(