Author Topic: Can't run VoiceAttack on Windows Server 2012  (Read 4722 times)

GammaPaladin

Can't run VoiceAttack on Windows Server 2012
« on: April 29, 2017, 06:20:42 PM »
When I attempt to run VoiceAttack, I get a dialog telling me there's no SAPI engine installed. I've tried running it as administrator, and I do have sapi.dll in windows\system32\speech\common...

Is it not possible to run VoiceAttack on Windows Server 2012?

Gary

• Administrator
Re: Can't run VoiceAttack on Windows Server 2012
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2017, 06:36:33 PM »
I don't believe the built-in speech engines come with Server 2012, unless they're allowed by separate installation.  If not, it may be possible by using the latest beta of VoiceAttack:

http://www.voiceattack.com/beta

It *should* pop up a message with a link on how to get Microsoft Speech Platform 11 (which can be found here:  http://www.voiceattack.com/alternate)

Hope that helps!

GammaPaladin

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2017, 07:33:45 PM »
I actually had installed speech platform 11, the recognition engine, and several of the optional TTS voices already, through Microsoft's site, before trying to post here.

The beta voiceattack pops up the message about alternate engines, but still won't launch with recognition support :/

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2017, 07:48:53 PM »
Can you try something for me?  Click the second link to start VA without speech turned on, then go to the Options screen and select the System/Advanced tab.  Is the speech selection radio group enabled or disabled?  If they are enabled, could you try selecting the, 'Use Installed Speech Platform' option?  Then uncheck the, 'Disable speech recognition' option and click ok... restart VA and see if it works.  If they are not enabled, there's not much to do, as VoiceAttack asks Windows for its available speech engines, and for some reason Windows is returning none. 

GammaPaladin

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2017, 09:29:10 PM »
Yeah, they're not enabled.

I don't know why, I definitely installed the speech platform...

Ah wait, on a whim, I ran the installer actually linked on the voiceattack /alternate page. It was the x86 version, and I'd previously installed the x64 version. VoiceAttack seems to happily work with the x86 version.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 09:32:47 PM by GammaPaladin »

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2017, 10:37:17 PM »
Ah!  Yes, I see now.  Yup... VoiceAttack is 32 bit since we had a nice meltdown a while back when we couldn't use 32 bit TTS voices any more.  Thanks for the update!

GammaPaladin

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2017, 11:20:52 PM »
No problem, thanks for the help :)