Author Topic: Do the processing on Suffix/Prefix before profile save  (Read 3621 times)

Woofington

Do the processing on Suffix/Prefix before profile save
« on: March 24, 2017, 07:27:19 PM »
OK, so I figured out why my profiles take forever to load.  Its not the size or complexity of the profile per se.

When I make a very dynamic command such as: [hey; hi; hello; hi there][computer; system; friend][how are you; you doing well; are you ok] then when I click OK to save that particular command the system does a bunch of processing.  I think it is doing a couple things, though my assumptions may be incorrect:

-It is unwinding all of the potential commands this command can make.
-It is then checking all of these commands to make sure none are already present in my profile.

This can take time and it can be process intensive.  However once its done, it doesn't do it again. 

However if I make a prefix command, and a suffix command, such that they end up mimicking the process above:

Prefix: [hey; hi; hello; hi there][computer; system; friend]
Suffix: [how are you; you doing well; are you ok]

And then click ok, now of this unwinding/processing happens.  However once I save the profile all of this processing occurs, for every prefix/suffix command it unwinds all the possibilities. 

I have even times this, I took a very complicated command, and looked to see how long it took when I clicked OK after creating the command to when it finished that process.  It took ~24 seconds.  Then I broke that command into a prefix and suffix group, clicked ok (which was instant) and then saved the profile (By clicking done in the profile command overview), and it took ~24 seconds. 

Why this is a problem:  The issue here is the fact that if I have a very very complex command, well it only does this processing once, when I create the command and click "OK".  When I save my profile all the unwinding/processing is done already so the profile will load very quickly.  However if I have that same command in a suffix/prefix, every time I save the profile now I must wait a very long time.  I could be adding or working on commands that are in no way related to the complex suffix/prefix groups that are causing this load and yet everytime I now save or update this profile I have to wait a long period of time. 

For me this meant every time I was saving my profile or fixing a small bug I was waiting >3 minutes every time I clicked "Done" in the profile overview, even if I wasn't modifying my complex commands.

Just my two cents.

Gangrel

• Caffeine Fulled Mod
  • Global Moderator
  • BORK FNORK BORD
Re: Do the processing on Suffix/Prefix before profile save
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2017, 10:02:22 PM »
Are you sure that this is due to the prefix/suffix or just because you have been doing a lot of saving/reloading/swapping of the profile before you end up restarting VA?

Woofington

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2017, 12:48:00 PM »
Positive it is a unique behavior for prefix/suffix, I've extensively tested this.  Though like most things in life, I could always be wrong.

Edit:  This might be best as an option because technically if you do a ton of work with prefixes/suffixes you probably only want this done once every profile save as opposed to everytime you modify a prefix/suffix command.  I feel as though that is a less common use case (in my case anyway)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 01:01:58 PM by Woofington »

Gangrel

• Caffeine Fulled Mod
  • Global Moderator
  • BORK FNORK BORD
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2017, 01:17:54 AM »
I only asked, because I have noticed that VA starts to lag out after a period of time of when I have been editing several profiles, flicking between them, editing some more and then it starts to take *forever* to even just click "confirm" on the profile.