Author Topic: KeyEventViewer: Tool for testing VA commands  (Read 11579 times)

lavaeolus

KeyEventViewer: Tool for testing VA commands
« on: December 21, 2016, 08:08:47 AM »
I'm writing a tool that captures and displays pressed keys and shows the associated commands for the current Elite Dangerous key bindings. It uses the same DefaultKeymap-file as my EDBindTool in the "Profile Uploads" section of this forum.
You can use it to see, if your VA profile generates the correct keys presses by selecting "KeyEventViewer" from the target dropdown in VoiceAttack. Eventually I will add mouse clicks too.
This is actually no VA plugin, so this topic is slightly displaced, but I did not find a more appropriate place.

Right now, the tool has no installer,. Just unpack the archive to a folder and start the EXE-file. Unpacking it to "Program files" or "Program files x86" may cause problems regarding the access rights, so avoid to install it there if you are not a Windows expert.

The attached version is a preview version barely tested and not feature complete. It display single key commands, but will most probably have problems with modifiers in key combos.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 08:13:27 AM by lavaeolus »

Gimi

Re: KeyEventViewer: Tool for testing VA commands
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2017, 05:43:27 AM »
Hi there.
I have a small issue with HCS Voice Packs, Voice Attack, ED and UK vs Norwegian keyboard that I'm having a hard time to actually figure out.
Currently, this setup does not like keystrokes where my Norwegian keyboard differs from a UK keyboard.
Identifying where the issue lies has been difficult, Voicepack, VA or ED (Currently my suspicion leans towards ED).

This tool looks like it might be handy to do some testing.
Has it been updated since you posted it.

lavaeolus

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2017, 07:55:23 AM »
Hi,
actually no.  Have you tried to use it? If you tell me whats wrong or missing, I'll try to fix or add it.
You should also have a look at the EDBindtool http://voiceattack.com/smf/index.php?topic=361.0. It includes a PDF file which describes in detail the problem with Elite Dangerous, VoiceAttack and country specific keyboard layouts. And both the Command line version and the GUI version include tools to help with mapping non UK keyboards and identifying keys.

Gimi

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2017, 08:30:32 AM »
No, not used it yet. I'm at work  :(
I asked since you wrote that it was a preview.
I will give it a go tonight.
Thank you for the tool.  :)

Gimi

Gimi

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2017, 08:46:11 AM »
Hi,
You should also have a look at the EDBindtool http://voiceattack.com/smf/index.php?topic=361.0. It includes a PDF file which describes in detail the problem with Elite Dangerous, VoiceAttack and country specific keyboard layouts. And both the Command line version and the GUI version include tools to help with mapping non UK keyboards and identifying keys.

OK, that was a crash course in key maps and I think (not sure yet) I understand what the issue is with my setup. Thank you.  I'll be going home and doing a complete map for Norwegian QWERTY keyboards now.
Great work, and thank you again.

Gimi

Arnak

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2021, 07:13:13 PM »
Hi,

I appreciate that this is an old topic but does anyone know how to use this program as I don't understand what it means to us the VA target box?

Thanks,

Martin

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2021, 05:17:50 AM »
That would be referring to setting this tool as your command target.

With the current version of VoiceAttack, that can be done either at the profile level in the profile options, or at the command level by editing individual commands.

It's possible it would also work with the default targeting settings, which normally target the active window, provided the tool's window is the active window.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2021, 07:53:49 AM by Pfeil »

Arnak

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2021, 07:48:28 AM »
Hi,

Thanks very much for the reply.

I'll give it a try.

Martin