Author Topic: Usefulness of Prefixes/Suffixes vs dynamic sections?  (Read 1995 times)

Doctor Machete

Usefulness of Prefixes/Suffixes vs dynamic sections?
« on: March 19, 2024, 08:20:04 PM »
I've been using VA for a couple days and looked at several guides and the pdf manual but I'm not sure if I'm missing something about the prefix/suffix system vs the dynamic commands using the CMD and CMDSEGMENT tokens, which I feel make things easier to manage by having them all in the same command.

Are prefix/suffix command just legacy functionality or are there some cases where they are the best choice?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2024, 01:02:44 PM by Doctor Machete »

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Re: Usefulness of Prefixes/Suffixes vs dynamic sections?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2024, 08:21:32 AM »
They predate the existence of dynamic command sections, and have almost entirely been superseded by those, yes.

The one case I've personally used prefix/suffix for is to essentially use it as a list system, where each suffix would set a variable with information specific to that suffix (basically a system to look up information on ingame items), then jump back into the prefix, though that is rather niche.

In the vast majority of cases, dynamic command sections are likely to be the right choice.

Doctor Machete

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2024, 01:01:55 PM »
Thanks for your response.

SemlerPDX

• Global Moderator
  • Upstanding Lunatic
    • My AVCS Homepage
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2024, 04:10:35 PM »
Definitely a niche application these days.  There are certainly cases where it would be best, or at the very least, more beneficial or even more organized to use the old Prefix/Suffix for an advanced voice command system of some sort... but like Pfeil already said well enough, the dynamic command phrases and {CMDSEGMENT} tokens are perfectly suited for the majority of cases.

I still prefer to use Prefix/Suffix for in-game radio style commands when the Prefix section would be who is being addressed (i.e. Alpha Team, Bravo Team, All Teams, etc.), and when the sub-commands for each individual team may vary slightly depending on who is being addressed.  This allows me to enter the 'main body' of actions contained in the suffix with a variable already set by the Prefix command of who is being addressed, for the logic in that 'main body' to utilize as appropriate.  Examples of these are available in my public profiles AVCS4 Falcon BMS Radios and AVCS4 SWAT Radios (for the Ready or Not game).

For most everything else, and even within these Prefix/Suffix command phrases, I make extensive use of dynamic command phrase structures.