Author Topic: Successfully adapted a disabled living with VoiceAttack  (Read 32057 times)

foxpur

Successfully adapted a disabled living with VoiceAttack
« on: April 17, 2017, 09:22:56 AM »
After the last year of editing and modifying and voice training and getting the machine to ID the prime user with speech difficulties I can successfully say we completely modified his home with VoiceAttack so now he can use his computer, play games, answer the phone, open his door, open his drawers to get himself dressed (that took some creative tech), open his refrigerator (we had to build some auto rollers for the trays but now he can get his own drink when he wants it), turn on/off his tv!!!!

Many other small bits but all using VA and allowing him to interact with to contact emergency or patiently retry responses till he gets the right one.  He wanted me to thank VoiceAttack for such an improvement in his life!!!!!

Gary

• Administrator
Re: Successfully adapted a disabled living with VoiceAttack
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2017, 10:28:54 AM »
*THIS* makes it all worth it, however VA is just the tool...  A ***HUGE*** amount of praise to you and those helping to build out solutions for those that need it.  It's a lot of patience and time to get even the simple stuff all down for somebody else to use properly, and you have really gone beyond.  Congratulations!

foxpur

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2017, 10:51:00 AM »
Well thank you.  It was 4 of us working on it, 2 had 3D printers. We made small changed all over for his living and he feels almost normal now. We will fine-tune it for a wider arrangement and the designs on the hardware to voice needs some work still... but we are getting there.

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2017, 11:09:57 AM »
This is so amazing.  Thank you for sharing that :)

Exergist

• Global Moderator
  • Ride the lightning
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2017, 11:43:11 AM »
@foxpur: it is so awesome to see VA being used to fundamentally improve the quality of life for disabled individuals. Keep up the outstanding work!

I'm not sure if your work is part of a proprietary business (and you mentioned that your efforts are still a WIP), but I'm willing to bet that many folks would value and want to build further upon or personalize some of the VA integrations you mentioned. Would you be able to share more information about these integrations, offer some general comments about how this feat of ingenuity was accomplished through VA, and/or even provide some samples of your VA coding?

Again, super kudos to you and your fellow developers!!

foxpur

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2017, 03:31:48 AM »
I'm not sure if your work is part of a proprietary business (and you mentioned that your efforts are still a WIP), but I'm willing to bet that many folks would value and want to build further upon or personalize some of the VA integrations you mentioned. Would you be able to share more information about these integrations, offer some general comments about how this feat of ingenuity was accomplished through VA, and/or even provide some samples of your VA coding?

We are TRYING to keep the coding as simple as possible in case they need to have another pick up the ball.  But it's very simple on/off commands to a main computer in a closet. Each tech we make is a simple open/close switch (Although we are having a tad less success in the close on some parts.  The TV is a smartTV that is easy to use a app that came with it, same with his microwave. Not much actually went into the coding except the extra "I understood you want to:..." for his speech issues.

Mr Talkalot

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2017, 05:43:42 AM »
I Salute you and your friends, for both your kindness and compassion, to your disabled Brother.
May the LORD Our Lord and Savior Bless you and provide for your every need.
And may your Brotherly Love Shine Forth as an Example, in all your everyday Life.

Disabled Vietnam Vet Retired in Thailand
544 Recon

ronthetech

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2017, 12:10:02 AM »
That is so awesome.  The applications of the program are many.  As an IT service provider with a large disable client base, you have just inspired me.  Thank you so much. :D

Jonn

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2017, 03:52:19 PM »
Nice!

I'm handicapped myself and use VA (combined with eye tracking) every day to control the computer.

What interface or device did you use to translate voice commands to real life functions?

Mike308

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2019, 08:35:12 PM »
Guys this is terrific. Might there be any chance you could post any details on how some of the key pieces were done?  Congrats on a great accomplishment!