Author Topic: VoiceAttack and Data Storage  (Read 12723 times)

Gary

• Administrator
VoiceAttack and Data Storage
« on: December 15, 2017, 02:53:36 PM »
"Where are my profiles stored?"
(a.k.a. "Where are my .VAP files?")

VoiceAttack stores its data in a single file named, 'VoiceAttack.dat'.  Each user on your PC will have their own VoiceAttack.dat file that will be stored (usually) in "C:\Users\YOUR_USER_NAME\AppData\Roaming\VoiceAttack"  (or, simply %APPDATA%\VoiceAttack).  If you want to back up your VoiceAttack data in one big chunk, the VoiceAttack.dat file is the one you will want to save.  Accessing this folder for the first time may be tricky, as Windows may have these folders hidden.  What you will want to do (if you haven't already done so) is to have Windows show hidden files and folders: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/14201/windows-show-hidden-files

On a side note, and to clear up some confusion, VoiceAttack's data is NOT stored in .VAP files.  .VAP files are the files that are created if you decide to export a single VoiceAttack profile (to share or simply as a backup).  You may have had to import a .VAP file at one time or another.  The information contained in the .VAP file that you imported is merged into your VoiceAttack.dat file and saved.

"I've deleted or added something I shouldn't have"
"My VoiceAttack.dat file has gotten corrupted somehow"

Inside the data folder, along with your VoiceAttack.dat file, you'll also see a folder named, 'Backup'.  That folder will contain the last ten edits you have done in VoiceAttack (there will be up to ten files in that folder).  Each backup file is an entire VoiceAttack.dat file, just renamed with the date/time of the edit.  To restore one of these backups, simply rename the file you want to restore to VoiceAttack.dat and overwrite your existing VoiceAttack.dat with it.  It's an overly-simplistic system, but hopefully you'll never have to use it.

"Where are my VoiceAttack settings saved?"

VoiceAttack's settings are stored (usually) in C:\Users\YOUR_USER_NAME\AppData\Local\VoiceAttack.com (or, simply %LOCALAPPDATA%\VoiceAttack.com  -  Also, see notes above about hidden folders and how to show them).  In this folder, you'll see Windows' storage system regarding your settings.  This folder will contain all settings for all the installations of VoiceAttack on your PC for your current user account.  You can backup your settings from there if you are using a backup utility, or, you can export and import your settings manually from within VoiceAttack.  To do export and import your settings from within VoiceAttack, just go to the Options screen and then go over to the 'System/Advanced' tab.  Near the bottom you'll see two buttons labeled, 'Export Settings' and 'Import Settings'.  Note that your registration details are NOT stored within the exported data.

"If I reinstall VoiceAttack, will it destroy my profiles and/or settings?"

Since VoiceAttack's settings and data file are stored separately, uninstalling and reinstalling VoiceAttack will not affect your data or your settings.  However, if you install VoiceAttack to a new location on your computer your settings do not automatically transfer (the settings are tied to your installed location).  You may need to register VoiceAttack again, in that case.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2023, 02:15:33 PM by Gary »