Author Topic: VA for linux?  (Read 14575 times)

ninjaivxx

VA for linux?
« on: May 16, 2016, 02:27:59 PM »
Do you have any plans for bringing Voice Attack to Linux?

Gary

• Administrator
Re: VA for linux?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2016, 05:03:21 PM »
Although it's not off the table, just like a Mac version, it's just not in the pipeline right now since there's just an absolute avalanche of things that still need handling for the Windows version.  Maybe after things calm down around here o_O

Rhaedas

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2016, 07:07:28 PM »
My first question would be, is there a decent and supported voice recognition software out there? I've looked in the past, and what was out there you almost had to piece it together yourself. Without that, you could still use VA for the macroing ability, but only quietly.

Frici

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2016, 04:43:50 PM »
This is actually both a good topic and a great idea, has anyone actually investigated what the Linux Voice Recognition landscape is like?

Even if it is not high priority, having the option to have VA on Linux would be awesome!

Gary

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2016, 07:01:51 PM »
Not to say that it can't or won't happen, but even if a spectacular speech engine existed for Linux it all boils down to how does the Linux gaming community compare to the Windows gaming community and how everybody would feel if all development effort moved from Windows to Linux.  If everybody can agree that Windows is no longer a viable and vibrant gaming platform and that Linux is where it's happening then it would be foolish not to jump ship.

jacwil

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2016, 01:45:58 PM »
There's the Microsoft's Speech API (https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/services/cognitive-services/speech/) that is cross platform via a REST API. It's probably how they get Cortana on Android. It doesn't even need to be taught to recognize your voice. I'm sure other options are there but I haven't researched it much.

Unfortunately if VoiceAttack switched to a web-based engine you'd probably have to sign in with an account from the provider. I'm not sure how billing would work either.

It would definitely be a big overhaul to switch from a Windows-dependent speech engine.

Grim

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2017, 08:13:59 AM »
There's the Microsoft's Speech API (https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/services/cognitive-services/speech/) that is cross platform via a REST API. It's probably how they get Cortana on Android. It doesn't even need to be taught to recognize your voice. I'm sure other options are there but I haven't researched it much.

Unfortunately if VoiceAttack switched to a web-based engine you'd probably have to sign in with an account from the provider. I'm not sure how billing would work either.

It would definitely be a big overhaul to switch from a Windows-dependent speech engine.

I actually just got VoiceAttack and was hoping that we could use Microsoft's or Google's AI/speech platform (or alternative) as I'm sure the built-in Windows speech assistant might be phased out "soon" (although maybe Cortana would eventually take over it somehow in the next Windows release?)

Cortana just understands me so much better/easier ;)

nomorecookies

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2020, 11:02:50 AM »
This is in no way an exageration. The lack of VoiceAttack on Linux is the only thing that has me locked into windows.
It it literally the only reason i have not switched my main machine to Linux.
I could not begin to express how grateful i would be if you migrated VoiceAttack to linux.
Fingers crossed, and once again, thank you very much for making VA.

Blackheart5

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2023, 05:47:40 PM »
I would also love to see this great tool brought to Linux.  With ProtonDB I use Linux exclusively now, which has been great since everything else I do in life is Linux based.

As for a speech engine, has anyone suggested or considered Mozilla's DeepSpeech?  I've used it a few times on personal projects and it's pretty good.  It's free and open source over on GitHub.  It might even serve as a decent substitute to make VoiceAttack fully standalone in the event Microsoft sunsets or closes its speech engine or gets weird with licensing and could pave the way to bring it to MacOS.

Thanks for the great application.  Definitely worth the $10!