Author Topic: Enable/disable automatic profile switching using a VA command  (Read 2338 times)

Chaos Introvert

My suggestion:

I would like to be able to enable or disable the automatic profile switching feature in VoiceAttack using a command (similar to the way we can enable/disable keyboard, mouse and/or joystick shortcuts).

My reason for asking:

I have a profile set to execute when VA starts (via the "Load profile on startup" option) that has some initialization stuff that sets up variables and so on that are used globally. These actions are run as part of the start up profile's "Execute a command each time this profile is loaded" setting.

I also have automatic profile switching set up, and another profile that's a generic default for my Windows keys and functions, which is set up with "*" in the "Enable profile switching for the following windows or processes" section of the profile options. So, VA uses this profile automatically unless another profile has been configured to activate with the focused window.

VoiceAttack is set up to start automatically, and start minimized to the system tray.
At Windows start up, what happens is:
  • Windows starts, and VoiceAttack launches minimized to the system tray
  • The startup VA profile begins executing
  • Almost immediately, automatic profile switching kicks in and VA switches to the general "default" profile.
  • As a result, the startup profile's initialization command is interrupted (due to the profile switch) and none of its initialization actions are run.

If I could insert a "disable automatic profile switching" action at the beginning of the startup's init command, and put an "enable automatic profile switching" action at the end of the init command, the startup command should be able to complete before the profile switching kicks in an swaps over to the default Windows profile.

As it stands, I have to go in and switch manually to the startup profile each time VoiceAttack is launched, which allows it to complete okay (since VA doesn't switch profiles when it's the focused window).
I'm trying to find a workaround to avoid this.